Niagara District Airport is looking for a Chief Executive Airport
The Niagara District Airport is located in the heart of the world famous Niagara Region, ideally positioned for both business and tourists. In addition to the famous Niagara Falls, the region offers historic Niagara-on-the-Lake and its popular Shaw Festival Theatre, an abundance of local wineries with restaurants offering tours and tastings, fine dining, many outstanding golf courses, including the 36-hole Legends course, and Casino Niagara and the Fallsview Casino Resort.
The airport is also only a short drive away from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Hamilton, the excitement of Toronto, and the major league sports attractions of Buffalo, NY.
Our airport has a 5,000-foot runway, 24-hour Customs clearance, NAV CANADA on site, and Avgas and Jet Fuel refueling available. Our on-site services include executive and personal charter, helicopter and fixed wing sightseeing, expert AMOs, and an active flight training school, several interesting vintage aircraft and a friendly welcoming staff.
Approximately 75 aircraft are based here and we provide all capabilities of a major airport without the delay, hassle, and expense – or exorbitant landing fees.
This is a fantastic opportunity in the world famous Niagara Region for an experienced senior leader.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for directing and managing the overall affairs and operations of the Niagara District Airport subject to the control and direction of the Commission to whom he/she reports. The focus of this role is on business development and includes responsibility for marketing and communications, financial and human resources management, stakeholder relations and administrative functions, as well fostering community engagement while providing support to the Airport Commission.
The CEO provides direction to a team of professionals including the Manager, Airside/Groundside Services, Operations/SMS Coordinator, Operations Specialists, Executive Assistant, and Maintenance Specialist.
The CEO builds and maintains effective working relationships with its owners (the three municipalities, Niagara on the Lake, City of St. Catharines and the City of Niagara Falls), and other stakeholders such as Chambers of Commerce in Niagara, Transport Canada, NAV Canada, airport users and customers.
This is a permanent, full-time position.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
The CEO is the Accountable Executive and is responsible for:
- Establishing and implementing the Safety Management System (SMS);
- Ensuring the required safety resources are available;
- Establishing, promoting and adhering to the corporate safety policy;
- Promoting and supporting the SMS; and
- Ensuring that the SMS remains effective.
- Applies the Vision, Mission and Values of the Niagara District Airport Commission to all major decisions.
- Leads the management team in carrying out the responsibilities and functions of the airport.
- Certifies compliance with environmental health and integrity of controls and policies of the Niagara District Airport.
- Certifies compliance of all Airport manuals as they relate to Transport Canada rules and regulations
- Provides overall leadership in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the Airport on a daily basis.
- Develops and recommends to the Airport Commission for approval the long-range and annual Business Plans and updates the Plans as required.
- Executes the Business Plan and Master Plan relating to revenue generation and infrastructure development.
- Pursues revenue opportunities by, but not restricted to:
- Promoting the Niagara District Airport opportunities and services;
- Expanding and supporting existing schedule passenger service;
- Pursuing new lines of business appropriate to airport operations aligned with the Vision, Mission and Values of the Niagara District Airport;
- Maintaining involvement with appropriate professional groups and Associations; and
- Building relationship with all customers.
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Oversees strategic marketing campaigns and communications plans to meet the objectives of the Niagara District Airport, including:
- Developing the Niagara District Airport brand;
- Undertaking market research and analysis; including air services development activities.
- Directing advertising, media relations, and the development of promotional materials.
Promotes the Niagara District Airport through:
- Active networking through community engagement/participation via service clubs;
- Attending and participating in business, government and social functions/meetings;
- Acting as designated media; and
- Promoting and growing the economic impact of the airport system to the region.
- Capital Funding – Researches, identifies and pursues all sources of capital funding for the Niagara District Airport including long range capital planning projects.
- Audit – Maintains awareness of all reporting procedures including audit regulations and procedures, and assures appropriate action is taken when required.
- Monitors the appointment of an accredited auditor.
- Budget – Prepares and manages an annual operating and capital budget in cooperation with Airport employees as appropriate and presents drafts for discussion, ratification and adoption within established timelines.
- Financial Review – Provides detailed financial statements for discussion and inclusion with other airport management reports presented at regular meetings.
- Ensures the Airport operates within approved budget parameters and seeks a resolution of the Airport Commission should any exceptions be required.
- Prepares written reports and presentations on a regular (biannual) basis to the Niagara District Airport owners (the three funding municipalities).
- Reviews, maintains and prepares agreements with the Niagara District Airport owners regarding revenue contributions toward airport operating and capital requirements.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Communicates and instils a culture in support of the vision, mission and values so as to achieve the business strategy.
- Ensures human resource strategies are implemented, and oversees recruitment, selection, and training & development.
- Oversees performance feedback processes and performance improvement interventions including progressive discipline when required.
- Establishes, administers and ensures compliance with human resources policies. Directs and sets priorities for work assignments for direct reports.
- Builds, motivates, enables and leads the success of a high-performance team committed to Niagara District Airport Commission’s vision and mission and corporate objectives.
- Reviews all business and contract commitments on a regular basis to ensure the Niagara District Airport is receiving best value and is protected from a legal standpoint.
- Reviews the preparation of standard Niagara District Airport Commission lease agreements and maintains knowledge of the terms and conditions.
- Acts as designated Accountable Executive as defined by Transport Canada as it relates to responsibility for all Airport operations.
- Signs off required Transport Canada documentation and amendments to the AOM to reflect this change.
- Carries out due diligence related to any problem areas in airport operations and/or infrastructure deficiencies that may affect the safe operation of the facility.
AIRPORT COMMISSION SUPPORT
- Develops and recommends policies, strategies and objectives to achieve Niagara District Airport’s mission and vision.
- Supports and advises the Airport Commission on all key issues related to the Airport Master Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Attends Niagara District Airport Commission Board, Committee and working group meetings and makes arrangements for the preparation and maintenance of minutes and records resulting from these meetings.
- Prepares a written report for every regular Niagara District Airport Commission meeting detailing business activity during the past month, financial reports, government compliance requirements, and briefing material to facilitate sound decision-making.
- Ensures existing infrastructure meets operational and regulatory standards.
Your education, experience, and qualifications include
- A degree or diploma in a related field (aviation, business, public administration, planning or engineering), or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A relevant professional designation, certification and/or membership is preferred (ex. Accredited Airport Executive (A.A.E.) or Professional (A.A.P.), Airport Management Council of Ontario, CGA/CPA/CMA, Registered Professional Planner, P. Eng, or similar)
- 5-7 years of related experience within the airport and/or aviation industry
- Advanced knowledge of applicable aviation legislation, regulations, safety standards, service standards and directives
- Experience managing and directing staff
- Experience in business development and/or marketing
- Experience in airport master and/or strategic planning
- Prior experience advising and presenting to elected officials and/or a Board of Directors
- Sound financial, budget and contract management skills and experience
- The ability to lead major projects and initiatives
- Excellent judgement, political acuity, business acumen, and decision-making abilities
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s License and the ability to travel in a timely manner for business purposes
- The position requires that the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59pm on Thursday, December 10, 2020 with the subject line “Niagara District Airport CEO Application”.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
If you have questions regarding this opportunity, please contact email@example.com or 1-800-263-7215, ext. 3560.