POSITION TITLE: Operations Manager
SALARY GROUP: Management
Closing May 20, 2021
The North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation (NBJGAC) is seeking an Operations Manager. This individual enjoys working in a demanding, fast pace environment where their ability to effectively manage competing priorities results in successful projects and innovative new ideas. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties as set out below.
Working as part of the management team and reporting to the Airport Manager/AE the
Operations Manager is responsible for:
- Airport Operation Maintenance Programs
- Airport Buildings Maintenance and service programs
- Coordinates and directs, duties related to the routine maintenance and repair of all buildings and surfaces affecting the operations of the airport (i.e. Runways, taxiways, aprons, airfield, roads, parking areas, groundside areas, buildings, machinery and airfield lighting) to meet airport certification standards, regulations and airport operations manuals.
- Coordinates and administers practical training programs in the following areas: airport wildlife control, GRF/CRFI AMSCR aircraft movement surface condition surface reports , equipment operation program, airfield maintenance, building maintenance, snow removal, electrical systems, and other practical training required by operational staff.
- Coordinates on site operational work with contractors, as required, to maintain the airport property, infrastructure, buildings and equipment.
- On Call Duty Manager on a rotational basis, acts as the Airport Manager and may act as Regulatory Compliance Manager during his/her absence as required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Participates in the Airport Safety Management System
- Participates in the Workplace Health and Safety Committee, Security Committee and other airport committees as requested by the Manager.
- Coordinates and Implements the Airport Operation Maintenance Programs and Standard Operating Procedures for airfield inspections, winter maintenance, airport facilities, movement surfaces and the repair of airport mobile equipment.
- Coordinates and implements the building maintenance program and develops programs and standard operating procedures for, airport facilities.
- Coordinates and implements the contract service program for mobile equipment, building maintenance, winter and summer operations.
- Following the airport’s operating policies and procedures, and Transport Canada certification standards; maximizes the utilization of staff, equipment, and material in a safe, efficient, and effective manner within budget guidelines.
- Manages airport operational staff in accordance to the Collective Agreement and airport policies including, disciplinary action; monitoring staff performance; and the preparation of performances evaluations.
- Organize and direct the maintenance and repair of building, machinery, mobile equipment, electrical systems, HVAC systems and plumbing systems.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of reports and statistics related to areas of responsibility
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, Canada Labour Code, Occupational Health & Safety Act and other codes to maintain a safe working environment.
- Establish and maintain good work relations with the City of North Bay, other levels of Government, airport users as well as the community at large.
- Informs the Airport Manager about business activities, potential threats, opportunities, and recommended actions.
- Confers with the Airport Manager to determine priorities and to schedule and assign projects subject to adjustments required to meet emergencies, weather conditions, and equipment breakdowns.
- Prepares and recommends to the Airport Manager a winter/summer work schedule for all operational employees to ensure that sufficient staff is on duty to meet operational requirements as per approved plans of operation and demands of clients.
- Approves operations staff leave request subject to operational requirements and the collective agreement.
- Provides input to the Airport Manager for the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Reports to the Airport Manager all equipment breakdowns, facilities malfunctions, safety violations, accident and incidents and investigates these as per airport policies ensuring that all Corporation, Provincial and Federal accident forms are promptly completed.
- Responds to emergency situations and acts as on scene Airport Coordinator when required
- In conjunction with the Airport Manager will maintain and help develop the following manuals (Wildlife Control Plan, Winter Operations Plan, Glycol Management Plan, Operations and Maintenance Plan and Operations Standard Operating Procedures.
- Manages the Obstacle Limitations Surfaces (OLS) program, coordinate audits, maintain equipment and recommends remedial actions to address OLS issues to the Airport Manager.
- Sources material, supplies and maintenance contracts as per the purchasing policy to support operational requirements.
- Performs other work related duties as requested by the Manager which are not limited by this job description.
- Exposure to ongoing noise related to aircraft and a maintenance shop operation
- The airport operates on a continuous basis and the Operations Manager must be available to be on call in the event of airport emergencies and operational requirements.
- Occasional overtime on evenings and weekends to address operational issues
- Some out of town travel required.
- Need for consistent attention to detail.
- Commitment to professional development of skills and knowledge necessary for the effective performance of the role.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Post-secondary education or equivalent in airport related fields or programs related to building, equipment, airfield maintenance and heavy equipment operation.
- A minimum of five years of management experience in airport operations or technical related fields and having held positions with increasing levels of responsibility preferred
- Knowledge of Airport Safety Management Systems and or ISO Management Standard Systems
- Airport Executive accreditation preferred
- Strong knowledge of policies and standards related to airport operations (TP312 and Canadian Aviation’s Regulations CARs)
- Maintain a valid Class “DZ” Driver’s License.
- Excellent leadership, public relations, operations management, communication, and conflict resolution skills are required.
- Ability to work independently and to undertake a variety of tasks and perform them with a minimum of supervision.
- Possess superior computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office, Aim/Tracker software, and other electronic data collection and communication systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to cope with stress levels associated with working in emergency and high security situations.
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Desirable –possess a Canadian Firearms Possession and Acquisition certificate.
- Horizontal linkages to other relevant governmental levels, airport associations and service providers, as well as, the private sector.
Resourceful, self-motivated, solid team player
Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
Highly developed interpersonal skills.
Excellent use of verbal and written English.
Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle and heavy equipment safely, possess a valid driver’s license, have an acceptable driving records.
*A Criminal Records Check is required in advance of starting employment in this position. Please contact the Police Services for your residential location for information on how to obtain a Criminal Records Check.*
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 4:30 PM eastern time to:
North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation
50 Terminal St., Suite 1, North Bay, ON Canada P1B 8G2
or by e-mail email@example.com
Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
The North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.